Sunday, March 1, 2009

Memorizing and Meditating on Scripture

Here it is March and time to add a new discipline: memorizing and meditating on Scripture. Every week we will have a couple verses to work on. This week it's Romans 8:31-32: "What, then, shall we say in response to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us? He who did not spare his own Son, but gave him up for us all--how will he not also, along with him, graciously give us all things?"

The author of Psalm 119 has some interesting things to say about meditation. He says, "Oh how I love your law! I meditate on it all day long. Your commands make me wiser than my enemies, for they are ever with me." If you think about "enemies" as those things that attack our souls, they could include fear, anger, depression, greed, lust, pride and a bunch of other things. What are your enemies that meditation could give you wisdom over?


2 comments:

  1. We just started memorizing scripture as a family. We pick one verse and recite it together before all 3 meal times until it is memorized. We improvise hand movements to coincide with key words in the verse we are memorizing. The kids really look forward to it. And, hey, it's great for me too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. whoops....i guess i didn't respond to your question...

    D. all of the above.
    It depends, given circumstances. Meditation is powerful. The benefits of soaking in scripture and chewing on it, word for word, does wonders in centering and strengthening me in TRUTH (heart and mind), especially in times of weakness. I think that is why I enjoy worship so much. There is a meditative quality that worship brings....the repetition in song, engages my mind and heart to sit and soak in who God says He is.
    Anyhow, this week I've been meditating on the scripture .."my sheep hear my voice. I know them, and they follow me" (john 10:27).
    "Let the word of God dwell in you richly.." Colossians 4:16

    ReplyDelete