Sunday, March 8, 2009

Hard Work

Several people commented to me at church that they had tried to memorize last week's verses and found it pretty hard. I definitely agree. Spiritual disciplines by definition are hard. One person said it was easier for her to memorize scripture if it was set to music. So I tried to sing this week's verse to "Row, Row, Row Your Boat" which made me laugh, but didn't do much else. If anyone can come up with a tune for today's verse, you get a gold star.

This week's verse is Romans 12:1,2 (TNIV): Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God--this is true worship. Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is--his good, pleasing and perfect will.

There's a lot here to meditate on. For example:
  • What about offering our bodies to God makes it true worship? Isn't singing songs of praise to God true worship?
  • What is "the pattern of this world"?
  • How does "the renewing of your mind" take place? Does God do it or do I do it?
  • How will a renewed mind make me able to test and approve God's will?
I'm sure you can think of some others. So give it another try this week and eventually you will find that the fruit you harvest is worth the hard work.

No comments:

Post a Comment